Friday, July 27, 2007

Palace Kitchen

The Burger (10 of 10): Yikes! A $14 blue-cheese burger? In this case, we came to the conclusion that it was worth it, believe it or not. Chef Tom Douglas has a reputation, and at the Palace Kitchen, he has worked his magic on a (formerly) lowly hamburger, and turned it into something that is worth the price. I've never had a burger that was so tender. Even the bun was to die for. This might be the ultimate burger.

Sides (8 of 10): The fries were great, maybe not up to the Elysian's, but after the burger, who remembers? But I do remember "Tom's famous triple coconut cream pie." What can I say? The name says it all.

Ambience (7 of 10): Surprisingly friendly and laid back for 7:00 on a Friday night. We waited maybe five minutes, and while the place was full, it didn't feel crowded. Not fancy, just a standard bar-restaurant feel.

Service (8 of 10): Ditto.

Overall/Value (10 of 10): Okay, I've been thinking hard about this one. "Value," to me, means "you get what you pay for," not necessarily cheap. In this case, you definitely get what you pay for, and it's worth every penny. I won't be going back every week -- sorry, who has that kind of a budget? -- but I will be going back.

Palace Kitchen
2030 Fifth Ave., Seattle
On the corner of 5th and Lenora
(206) 448-2001

No comments: